Tuesday 24 March 2015

Mandala magnetism



What about the optical patterns that we see and see us?

Working in the in-between space, the emerging data in this project are influencing me by transforming my knowing and being. Hultman and Taguchi (2010:537) explain a relational materialistic approach in which “a diffractive ‘seeing’ or ‘reading’ the data activates you as being part of and activated by the waves of relational intra-actions between different bodies and concepts (meanings) in an event with the data”.

A mandala, recently drawn in pen by a student has captivated my attention - a magnetic appeal. It stood out for me among the group of 25 drawings. It has acted as a constitutive force working on me. The image depicted a baby in the centre surrounded by words reflecting the student’s feelings and thoughts, written in text going round in a spiral path. Perhaps the movement of shifting the paper while writing in a circular manner combined with the symbolism of a mandala was cathartic for this student.

My image here was created with the Kaleido App on the iPad - a simple mechanistic mandala. Colour effects on Word enabled me to soften the hues. The layers and patterns with radiating concentricity give meaning to the many connections that are appearing in my research project.

Hultman, K & Taguchi, H.L. 2010. Challenging anthropocentric analysis of visual data: a relational materialist methodological approach to educational research, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 23:5, 525-542.

No comments:

Post a Comment