Saturday 21 March 2015

Behind my blogging


Why am I using images with text in my blogs? I am not an artist or art therapist nor do I have any training in design. I do though love patterns, colours and movement - and my iPad. In this research project I plan to cut into the process through these visual texts - self-generated data emerging through an iterative process - data-in-the-making, “enabling newness to come into existence; the ‘more-than’ of data” (Springggay & Zaliwska. 2015:137).

Apart from the artefacts, these drawings provide a “trace of the thinking process” through marks that reveal emotions, force and other characteristics depending on the medium and tools used (Taylor 2008). I am creating and recreating agential cuts (Barad 2007).

Sapochnik (2013) points out that drawings have the “potential to (at least, to some extent) circumvent the work of internal censorship and allow access to more elusive sources of meaning”. There is an intra-action of forces happening and emerging.

Through the affordances of the iPad, I can choose different Apps to create two-dimensional representations that are free flowing without the resistance of paper or tools. There is a playful element as I explore and engage with the digital space.

Here I have superimposed faces from the iPad App called Cool Faces onto my design from the previous blog. The facial expressions allow me to highlight the importance of acknowledging emotion and affect in my work and research - an aspect of medical care that is frequently under-represented.


Sapochnik, C. 2013. Drawing below the surface: Eliciting tacit knowledge in social science research. Tracey. Drawing knowledge. http://www.lboro.ac.uk/microsites/sota/tracey/journal/edu/2013/sapochnik.html

Springggay, S & Zaliwska Z. 2015. Diagrams and Cuts: A Materialist Approach to Research-Creation. Cultural Studies ↔ Critical Methodologies. 15:2:136-154.


Taylor, A. 2008. Re:Positioning drawing. In Garner, S. (ed) Writing on Drawing Essays on Drawing Practice and Research. Chicago. Intellect Books.

1 comment:

  1. I am very impressed with your blogging efforts V! Where / how did you start? I need help! :)

    ReplyDelete