Tuesday 14 April 2015

Threshold thoughts



As I move beyond arborescent thinking (described in a previous blog) I recognize the nomadic nature of my explorations in seeking out the multiplicities that characterize the context of my project. Rather than binary thinking from taken-for-granted beliefs, there is an open space filled with intensities swirling around me. Is this a threshold in my research in which I traverse a liminal space, before moving into a new position or is the new place rather an unknown space that is self-generated?

Deleuze and Guattari (1987:153) claim that the “organ changes when it crosses a threshold, when it changes gradient”. In the assemblage of my research, where are the “organs without bodies”?.As I interrogate my own positionality perhaps I am finding moments of deterritorialization that disturb my expectations. When some intra-actions strike me as exceedingly relevant, is this a strengthening of the gradient through the degree of intensity. For example when a student walks away from a challenging issue, it could be that the student’s own agency to confront dissonance within the hierarchy of medicine is driven to a reductionist position through the flow of intensities. Deleuze and Guattari (187:155)  write about horses in training where “humans impose upon the horse's instinctive forces transmitted forces that regulate the former, select, dominate, overcode them”.

In the image above, using ASketch on my iPad I have tried to capture the glows or circles of intensities that are influencing my conscious thinking through their crisscrossing energies that are driving my thoughts in different ways.

Deleuze, G., & Guattari, F. 1987. A thousand plateaus: Capitalism and schizophrenia (B. Massumi, Trans.). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment