Tuesday 6 January 2015

Boundary break-in


“The nature and existence of boundary spaces is both challenging and troublesome because they are borderland spaces, spaces where diverse and related concerns both overlap and collide” (Savin-Baden 2008:115).

Maintaining safe spaces is an important concern in my research and work. In creating such spaces for dialogue and reflection, I recognize that boundaries become increasingly relevant and important.

From my own point of view, I am in a "liminal space" engaging in troublesome knowledge and dissonance. I am challenging established practices as an outside insider - not an Obstetrician, midwife or a full-time educator. In facilitating student learning in and through health and human rights workshops at several levels of the undergraduate medical curriculum, I bring an alternative “liquid curriculum” that provides a smooth space in a generally crowded striated curriculum.

Yet the issues are complex, troublesome and difficult. Connections between the university, the province and non-governmental organizations are sensitive. Furthermore, the relationships between the students, nurses and doctors is fragile. Part of my research is to explore the impact of students’ learning on the already stressed and overworked nursing staff in the Obstetrics facilities.

In terms of changing educational practices, Savin-Badin (2008:116) recommends that we provide 2 types of boundary spaces - space creation in the curriculum and space production referring to “gaps for students thinking, reflecting and student-led discussion”. New boundary spaces can be considered as in-between spaces, “where criticality, debate and deliberative democracy can grow and flourish” (2008:127).

The photos in the Picframe collage, were taken while I was walking in my neighbourhood. The barbed fences are not uncommon in South Africa. However this and many other strategies to “keep out crime” have limited value in a country where poverty and inequality provoke high incidents of crime.

Looking through the looped coils, I see many stories unraveling as my research progresses. Collegial support is likely to help me to develop the resilience to overcome the barbs. My new iPad also contributes to shield me from other limitations.



Savin-Baden, M. 2008. Learning Spaces: Creating opportunities for knowledge creation in academic life. McGraw-Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment